
Within a day or so of having Einstein it was obvious he had accepted the fact that I was his new mommy. I was 'mom' and Brett was Einstein's favorite over-sized toy. Brett was the fun one and I was the disciplinarian....not a big shocker there......it is definitely how I always expected it to be once we had kids....I just didn't realize it would be that way with the dog too. Over the first few weeks Einstein did push a wedge in between Brett and I. I began to be resentful of how unhelpful he was and how he didn't seem to be sympathetic of my feelings for this dog. Brett would remind me....he's just a dog. Which is exactly what I didn't need to hear. (I realize he is 'just a

dog' but for now...he's my only child and I can't help how much I love the little guy.) I started questioning if I wanted to have kids with this man who was so uncompassionate. Yes, I actually questioned it!! Looking back, it's pretty embarrassing but at the time Einstein seemed so small and helpless, my maternal instinct just kicked in overdrive. I didn't want to go anywhere without him and I constantly worried about him. (I know any moms reading this are thinking 'you just wait'. Trust me, I KNOW!!!! This is why I don't have kids yet.) Anyway, when Einstein was about 3 or

4 months old, I had to go on a trip for work. As I was going over all of Einstein's instructions my husband actually suggested having my parents keep Einstein instead of him! Yes, he did! He didn't even want to keep our own dog by himself. After convincing him that this was not an option, I said my goodbyes and left my boys on their own for five days. I left our dog and his unwilling owner and came back to a man and his best friend. It took me being out of the way and Brett being the sole caregiver to make him really step up as a 'puppy parent' and fall in love with this white ball of fur. (I am hoping this is a life lesson I will remember when we do have kids!!!) Brett immediately starting fretting over Einstein just as bad as me and really started to take an interest in his training and well-being. He is now an amazing 'puppy daddy' and has completely erased my fears of making the transition into REAL parenthood with him. The team work in raising and training Einstein has definitely brought us closer together. He is doing a wonderful job of

preparing us for the real thing!
No comments:
Post a Comment